Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Price of a Towel

I've never really been a beach person, not because I abhor the beach in any way. I have light skin that burns easily, and it wasn't part of my upbringing. Plus, my dermatologist told me to wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun, unless I want to die. She put it more eloquently. Now I've found myself in a vacation spot where the main activity is lying on the beach. I thought I'd give it a shot, with sunscreen of course.

I don't read guidebooks when I travel. I might look up some info online, and I definitely school myself in the customs and etiquette of the culture. It's akin to reading student placement cards before you meet the student. If you have someone else's perspective in your head, the ability to form your own opinion is impacted. I rely on observation to acquire the most knowledge of a new place. My first full day in Patong was spent scoping out the beach situation. Do you have to pay to use a chair? Will they provide a towel for you? The concierge at my hotel didn't know the answers to these questions, so I set out for the beach without a cumbersome towel.

The chairs and umbrellas on the beach look as though they are all run by the same operation, but in fact, every few hundred feet is a new enterprise. I found a chair with an unobstructed view of the water and sat down. Out of nowhere, just like Emilio from Mr. Deeds, a server (not sure what they're called, but I'll call them servers since they bring you drinks) appeared and asked if I needed a chair. "Yes, please. May I rent a towel too?" He replied, "Chair 100 baht. Towel 50 baht." Wow, a pretty cheap day! That's about 4.50 USD. 

With this first positive beach experience under my belt, I set out again the next day. I walked farther down the beach this time, possibly for a different experience. There are probably at least 10-15 different chair sections along Patong Beach. A server approached me before I could even sit down. He found me a chair in the front row and set up my umbrella. I started to unpack and asked to rent a towel. "100 baht," he replied. I said, "They only charge 50 down there," I said, pointing to my previous station. He shrugged his shoulders and said again, "100 baht." I said, "No, thank you," and left. What really surprised me is that he didn't even try to negotiate! Usually, when you walk away during a business deal, they will lower the price for you. I know 50 baht doesn't seem like too much of a difference, but when you're on a limited budget, it could amount to a beer or a few bottles of water.

I continued to the next station, where the server approached me. This time, before I got settled, I asked, "How much for a chair and towel?" "180 baht." You're kidding me! I said, "No, thank you," and kept walking. He called after me, "170 baht plus one free bottle of water!" I kept walking and he didn't persist.

At the next station, I started the negotiation. "How much for a chair and a towel?" "150 baht," he answered as he wrote it in the sand. "Great!" and I gave him a thumbs up. Whew, I was exhausted. I gave him a 20 baht tip and he was very attentive, adjusting my umbrella whenever the sun moved and closing it for the one hour of sun exposure I allotted myself.

Negotiation may seem like a lot of work, but personally, I think it's fun. It's expected in this culture, and can forge a friendly interaction with the native people. If you are negotiating with someone who is selling handicrafts for their own profit, just remember that they are only trying to feed their family. It's customary not to offer more than 30 percent below the original price. Bring your calculator!

1 comment:

  1. Why didn't you just take a towel from the hotel or steal one from the first place? Ok, maybe I'm missing the point...but I'm still wondering.

    ReplyDelete