Saturday, November 23, 2013

Farewell, Thailand

NOTE:  Direct quotes are used in this blog entry, as best as my memory serves.  These direct quotes, especially from non-English speakers, are not meant to offend.  They are only meant to preserve the authenticity of the interaction.

I only stayed in Patong for three weeks, but it felt like an eternity. I'd made some friends and wanted to bid all of them farewell. My first stop of the day was my usual beach spot. Nora, my favorite foot masseuse, saw me coming and ran over. "Victoria from America!" I was settled into my beach chair by my favorite servers. "Chair, towel, and Singha."

Nora and I chatted as she worked her magic. "Victoria, I see you around. You always happy and smiling. That make you beautiful." What a sweet compliment! Because it's Thailand, I know she's sincere. Nora's worked as a masseuse for over 30 years and was born in Patong. Her sister works with her, and they are two of eleven children. Her daughter works at a hotel nearby and her son works in IT on Phuket Island. "He helps me on the computer," she said. "When you come back, Victoria? Next year?" I wondered if people really did return year after year, or if it was a saying that was passed around. "I hope next year," I told her. "Don't forget me," she warned. "I could never forget you, Nora!"

Even though I saw a rat at 1-2-3 Restaurant, I decided to return. The people were so friendly and I hadn't suffered any ill effects from my previous visit. Plus, they prepare the best papaya salad. During my first visit, I was afraid 1-2-3 might represent Eat-Toilet-Die. The Los Angeles County Health Inspector would probably grade it with an "F", but it's those secret ingredients that make a dish so tasty. Americans are obsessed with cleanliness, too. I always tell people that's what they will notice about America. As I approached, the servers waved and smiled. I sat outside this time, decreasing the likelihood I'd see another rat. I ordered the papaya salad again, one of their veggie dishes, and a large, commemorative Singha. "Large?" the server asked, aghast. Why does this surprise everyone? You get a better value for your money and you don't have to bother the server if you want seconds. In Thailand, every beer is served in a coozie anyway, so there's no risk of warm beer. They brought me a complimentary, traditional Thai dessert of watermelon and pineapple, and we parted ways. "When you come back? Next year?" Once again. Maybe they all want ME to return next year?

Much of my journal writing and blog prep was completed at Segafredo at Banana Walk, located right on Beach Road. I also liked going there because they play Rhianna's Greatest Hits every single day. Most of her songs really are catchy! I walked in, ordered my favorite Iced Mezzo Mezzo, and told the girls it was my last night in Patong. "Oh no!" said the barista. After making my drink, we took a photo, and she came over to sit on the sofa opposite from me. I love Thailand for this reason exactly: everyone treats you like you're an old friend. We chatted, but her accent was so strong and Rhianna was so blaring that it was difficult to piece together the conversation. I showed her some of my photos from Bangkok and northern Thailand. She said she loves Chiang Mai, as most people do, and was shocked at my photos with the lady boys in Bangkok. "They were really nice people," I said. She gave me a big hug and asked if I would return next year. I'm not kidding. They all asked me that. "I hope I can return next year," I assured her. Just then a torrential downpour commenced. "You cannot leave now!" she chided.

I strolled slowly along Bangla Road and Rat-U-Thit Road, purchasing a few souvenirs along the way. I took in every sight of luring restaurant hosts, every smell of fish water in the gutter, and every sound of competing tuk tuk drivers' music, as I knew I probably wouldn't hear them again "next year". I'll return as soon as I am financially able, and hopefully my new friends will remember me.
Nora, my favorite foot masseuse

My last meal in Thailand

Coffee buddies

Rat-U-Thit Road

No comments:

Post a Comment