Monday, November 11, 2013

LML

I don't think I've ever uttered the phrase "I love my life." Life was always an existence. You go to work, spend time with your family and friends, pursue your hobbies, plan for your future. It was never about enjoying the moment. It was always about survival and essentially materialism. You have to work to afford your house, your car, your bills, food to eat. I've compiled 10 reasons why I can say I love my life right now. They may seem trivial, but when you abandon complication, that's all that remains.

1) Sink Laundry.
Two of my most cherished possessions are my washer and dryer. I paid for them myself and they represent convenience. I haven't had access to a washer and dryer in Thailand, and I don't like other people handling my clothes. The solution has been sink laundry. It's so easy. My pattern has been to throw a load in the sink with some shampoo, let it soak while I eat breakfast, squeeze out the excess water with a towel, and the clothes are dry by the following morning. You always have clean clothes!

2) The Beach.
As I've mentioned before, I'm not a beach person. However, there's something about sitting on the beach and listening to the waves that is soothing. It's probably also the exotic nature of Thailand, as well as the drink service.

3) Beach Decorum.
Anything goes on the beach in Thailand. It's not a display of everyone's workout results. People come here to enjoy the beach on their vacation. That's it. All types of bodies are welcome. Maybe I'll give that thong bikini a try...

4) One Room Living.
I just packed up and moved out of my two bedroom condo. Well, my sister did most of the packing. I told myself I'd never have another office nor a home with ample storage. If it's not displayed, donate it. When you're living in hotel rooms or Airbnb rooms, your space is obviously limited. Your only possessions are what you've brought, and you have no other options.

5) Room Service.
It sounds so extravagant. When I was told breakfast was included in my $30 per night room, I assumed it would be in a dining room. There is no dining room at The Artist House, so breakfast is delivered to your room. I even explained and successfully received egg whites.

6) Humidity.
Southern California is a dry climate, and I laugh whenever anyone claims it's humid. After travelling to the Amazon, I know humid. Thailand is a tropical country, which accounts for much of its beauty, so you endure the humidity. The positive result of humidity is fresh, dewy, radiant skin.

7) I'm a "Regular".
 I attempted to try a new restaurant every day, but I did amass my favorites. Very few places exist where you can sit and relax in the air conditioning, so that means ordering a coffee or snack. The baristas at Starbucks and Segafredo know my preferred drinks (green tea latte & iced mezzo mezzo).

8) Limited Wardrobe.
As mentioned above, I just packed up my entire house. I mean my sister did. I packed up plastic bins full of work clothes and winter clothes, as well as summer clothes that I would not take on this trip. I even have a few suitcases in my mom's garage that are filled with clothes. All this packing was done after sorting and donating TEN bags of clothes. It's almost a relief to be limited to the few outfits I currently have in my suitcase. Actually, I had only packed for three weeks and had to stretch it into six weeks.

9) Detachment.
I like to keep up with people on Facebook when I'm back at the hotel on the wifi, but it's cathartic to leave my phone in the hotel safe during the day. I've found that I'm not always looking for a "free wifi" sign, and I concentrate on other activities such as journal writing, blog ideas, reading, or meditation.

10) Not Teaching.
I don't hate teaching, but when your life becomes routine, you have to make a change. You spend the most time at your job, so that's where I decided to make the first change. I tried unsuccessfully to obtain a new job and I even tried to volunteer my services as an English teacher here in Thailand. I guess a PhD in Education and 15 years of teaching English Learners didn't qualify me. Then I thought if I really wanted to teach, I would find a way to make it happen. I don't want to be a teacher. What a revelation!

My fear is that I will collapse back into the mindset of routine existence. My challenge is to discover how to combat that collapse. 

1 comment:

  1. Regarding (#4) and (#2). When we got a dog crate for Rikka many years ago; the pet store was really insistent that we get one that she could stand and turn-around in, but no bigger, which seemed cruel to me, but she loved her crate, she'd just go in there and hang out when she needed some alone time, we didn't even have to bribe her to go in there. Years later, after living in Asia, Europe, and in big American cities, I think I finally understood that small spaces do actually make you feel sort cozy and safe. Never in Asia did I hear a noise in the 'other room' and feel that sinking fear of unknown terrors-since I could see my entire house from anywhere in it! Bjørnar and I live in 46kvm (small 1-bedroom), if I lived here alone, it would be too big. Strange how your spacial comfort zones changes when you are exposed to dramatically different standards of what constitutes 'enough spaces' and how many clothes make-up a wardrobe. I have 2 small drawers, 2 big drawers and 15 hangers. Even if I wanted more things, I have no space for them. I admit I do have a disproportionate number of coats, but where I live demands that.

    ReplyDelete