Thursday, June 9, 2016

Indian Sundays, Indian Fundays

Episode 5
Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sundays are a highly anticipated day of the week. Though I enjoy my studies throughout the week, I look forward to a day off. A short recap of the three Sundays that have passed so far:

Sunday, May 15
I met my friend Rahul through his Facebook page Rishikesh Spirit almost one year ago. He combs Rishikesh-related posts for people who might be interested in sharing their experiences on his page. I messaged him as soon as I arrived to arrange an in-person meeting. Inviting some friends along both for safety in numbers and to introduce them to him, we agreed to meet at the Ram Jhula Bridge. Unlike most Indians, Rahul arrived right on time, almost to the second. Impressive. We walked down to the Ganga beach and relaxed on some rocks for a while, chatting. We discussed meditation and its challenges, not the typical get acquainted drivel. Rahul has a keen interest in helping people in their practice, and he teaches some courses himself. We strolled along the lower beach road to Laxman Jhula, where we crossed the bridge and searched for a secluded swimming spot. Lili and Rebekah scrambled down the rocks to dip in the Ganges while Anna and I cooled off in the shade with some cold water. I was overheated and dizzy, abiding my body’s wishes to take some rest. We finished our visit with a lunch of paneer and garlic naan at the Ganga Beach CafĂ©.

At 5pm, we reported to the yoga hall for our puja ceremony, in which we were blessed and welcomed along our journey of yoga and meditation over the next six weeks. Chanting was performed, tilaka applied between our eyebrows, and kalava string bracelets were attached to our wrists as reminders of why we were here in India. We approached the altar one at a time to wave the burning lamp, initiating us in our next step toward our yoga and meditation transformation. Our teacher, Krishna, participated in the ceremony too, which was a caring, bonding gesture. I looked forward to what the upcoming weeks would hold.

Sunday, May 22
Shopping was on my mind throughout the week as I observed others in their new tops and pants. Not that I really need any new clothes, but I wanted to treat myself while prices are low. I’m a frugal shopper, and spending more than $20 on any item of clothing in the US is a splurge for me. I purchased two sleeveless, printed tops for less than $10, and I changed into one of them on the spot due to the stifling heat. One purse, one mala bead necklace, and two sets of earrings later, it was time for lunch. Little Buddha was a restaurant fixture during my stay last year. We seemed to gravitate toward the restaurant for its views and excellent food. This time, I enjoyed paneer and garlic naan, of course. The food was just as delectable as I remembered, and I was happy to introduce some new patrons to its delicacies. We journeyed back to Ram Jhula to clean up for our evening at Ganga Aarti.

Ganga Aarti is a daily devotional celebration along the banks of the Ganges River at Parmarth Niketan Ashram. We arrived early to enjoy the incessant singing by the ashram residents and changing views of the sunset. When the Swami arrived, more singing occurred before the aarti lamps were passed around. The lamp made its way toward me, as did a mad rush of Indian women. I inched in the opposite direction, as fire and crowds of sari fabric are never a good idea. I was satisfied for another year.

Sunday, May 29
We eagerly awaited our morning of whitewater rafting. My anticipation was especially acute since the season had already closed last year when I arrived. We walked to the Ram Jhula Bridge, crossing and hiking uphill to find the taxi that would take us to the launching point. One of the staff members from RYP ushered us to the taxi, thankfully, or we never would have found our ride among the identical taxis. After meeting our guide, Amit, we agreed that using the toilet would be a good idea before embarking on the river. The toilet was located up the steep hill we had just descended in the Jeep, so a large rock would have to suffice. A group of men watched from afar as we took turns behind three large rocks. I’m sure the view was especially exciting for the swarms of travellers along the mountain road in the distance as well. We carried the raft to its launching point and boarded, after listening to Amit’s safety and instruction speech. We asked him what our team name would be and he immediately and happily replied, “Moola Bandha!!” If you don’t already know, moola bandha locks your energy (prana) when you contract the pelvic floor or perineum. Momentarily, I thought Amit’s reply fringed on sexual harassment, but it was all in good fun and we found it amusing. Paddling and maneuvering our way along the river all the way back to Ram Jhula, we encountered rapids that are designated up to Class 3. Pretty impressive for what I’ve always considered a calm current! I was thrilled with the rafting experience, definitely one of the highlights so far.

After resting and cleaning up post rafting adventure, I set out for a solo dinner and shopping journey. I walked out to Laxman Jhula to purchase yet another mala bead necklace. The prices were better at the shop in Laxman Jhula, and I enjoyed doing business with the owner. I chose one plain sandalwood mala but requested that the tassel be lengthened, as I like the look better. Immediately, the owner sat down and worked meticulously on the tassel while we chatted. During the conversation, I scrutinized the other malas that hung in the enclosed viewing boxes. I had recently discovered that one of my birthstones is a moonstone, and I was looking for a pleasing mala of that stone. One sample was too long, but when he brought out one that was mixed with rudraksha seeds, I knew I had found my mala!

My dinner plans with a friend fell through, so I treated myself to a lovely paneer dinner with a lovelier view of the Ganges at Zorba’s restaurant in Laxman Jhula. Wait, maybe the paneer was lovelier than the view. Nonetheless, it was nice to relax with a meal outside the dining hall.

The following Sunday warrants its own post, so that’s coming soon. I can’t wait to discover what the subsequent Sundays in India have to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment