Saturday, June 25, 2016

Halfway There


Episode 6
Saturday, June 4, 2016

We’re halfway through the 300-hour course and at times I feel like I’m livin’ on a prayer. Highlights from Week Three include:

More…
·      High temps
·      Progress in jumping toward my handstand
·      Willingness to try formerly fearful poses
·      Shopping
·      New friends

Less…
·      Naps (though I still take naptime to rest my eyes)
·      FEAR
·      Confusions in anatomy class
·      Gecko interaction

NONE…
·      Leaving lecture class for a “quick” power nap
·      Intestinal sickness

Pointing out the obvious, it’s incredible what progress one can make on poses when one practices them every day. Whenever someone asks me about my yoga focus, I always say asana is secondary for me. It’s true that I’m more comfortable with pranayama and meditation, and I don’t want to engross myself in a competitive nature. I try to stay calm with poses and not set goals. If I’m going to make progress with the asana, I will. If it’s not the asana for me today, maybe it will be someday or maybe never. The physical and emotional state of the body varies by the second, so I can’t always count on an identical practice to the previous day. I’m patient with myself and with my progress.

Unexpectedly, I’m making progress with my kriya practice. Episode 3 focused on the first horrendous experience, but I would hardly deem the subsequent practices horrendous. I’m beginning to feel the effects of jala neti (neti pot), though maybe not as intensely as someone who struggles with nasal issues. My nose feels clogged on Sundays when we don’t practice jala neti. I practiced sutra neti (catheter in the nose and out the mouth) in front of a mirror to feel where the catheter tickles the back of the throat, but it was still so uncomfortable. I’m letting it lie for now. Maybe I’ll do it someday, maybe I won’t. Vaman dhauti has been the biggest surprise throughout the progression of my kriya practice. I no longer gag during the practice and my shock and disgust has disappeared.

Saturday mornings are devoted to teaching practice with a partner, in order to reinforce the cues Krishna has been using all week. I couldn’t wait to say, “Suck in the metatarsals!” “Sternum up!” “Show your clavicle!” Vicky was my partner this week, and she wanted me to teach first so she could listen to my English cues. She is a French native speaker. The same thing happened with Kae last week, wanting to listen to my English as she translated it from her native Thai. I’m happy to help my new international friends with their English. I didn’t mind teaching first because I’m accustomed to cueing and teaching spontaneously over the past year. I’m working on more subtle cues than the typical placement of limbs, hips, and gaze. I’ve been surviving on simple cues throughout my first year of teaching, but aspire to graduate to cueing specific muscles. Mostly, I teach beginning yoga students who may not recognize those cues, but that’s how I learned certain muscles and Sanskrit terms during my years of study. My teachers had broad knowledge that they passed on through their teaching.

Another highlight of the week was meeting my Facebook friend Alyssa for the first time, in-person. Alyssa and I met on Facebook about a year ago when she was searching for yoga teacher training courses in India. She contacted me to enquire about my experience at RYP. Of course, I gave the school a glowing review, and didn’t mention my trips to the hospital! Eventually, I confessed that I acquired a parasite, only so Alyssa could take precautions and not have the same setback. Alyssa set off on her trip and had some Indian visa complications at first, but worked it out so she could remain in India for a course and ample time for travel. When I made the decision to complete a 300-hour course, I contacted Alyssa and we serendipitously found ourselves in Rishikesh at the same time. We decided to meet in front of Freedom Café in Laxman Jhula, where we enjoyed a lunch overlooking the Ganges. Parenthetically, most of the cafes in Laxman Jhula overlook the Ganges! I fed my paneer addiction while we chatted, comparing notes on our 200-hour courses, at the Royal Café, inconspicuously tucked within an ashram. We walked around a few shops before we parted ways, hopefully to meet up again before I leave. Again, it’s amazing how we can meet friends online, already slightly vetted by their postings, and then meet up, akin to reconnecting with an old pal.

On the walk back to Ram Jhula, I passed by a particular vendor stall. These stalls line the road and you can find anything from a refreshing drink or snack for your journey to jewelry and mala beads. I was looking for my friend Dadu and greeted him as I passed by. “Hello! How are you doing? What are you selling today?” Dadu answered, “My friend…I want to give you something…my gift to you.” He pulled out a box from under the cart and slipped a badass kundalini snake arm band on my upper arm. I was so grateful, mostly because I would never buy anything like it for myself and now I had one. The kindness of my Indian friends increases my gratitude every day. On to Week Four and the second half of the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment