Monday, January 20, 2014

Pedicures: An International Comparative Essay

I only have one addiction: pedicures.  When I began planning my four month long sojourn around Australia and Southeast Asia, one of my first concerns was "What will I do about my monthly pedicure?"  Seriously.  Not "What will I do if I need to see a doctor?"  Not "What if I lose my passport?"  Pedicures.  It certainly would have been too easy to pack some nail clippers and polish/remover.  I searched "nail salons in Sydney" and located several possibilities.  It wasn't that I thought Australia was an uncivilized land.  I just wasn't sure of the prevalence or popularity of nail salons.

After about a month in the Sydney area, my toenails needed some attention. I had been waiting and preparing for this day.  How would an Australian pedicure compare to my norm?  I was staying in the Clovelly area, so I walked up to Bondi Junction to do some errands.  I was leaving for Thailand the next day.  I had seen the prominent USA Nails all over Sydney, but thought I would try an inconspicuous little shop, tucked in a corridor off Oxford Street.  Maybe a smaller, non franchised shop would offer lower prices or more personalized service.

I walked into Sydney Professional Nails and asked the cost of a pedicure.  One of the two pedicurists working answered, "30 dollars."  That's about 28 USD.  I thought it sounded like a great deal for Australia, so I chose a bright pink color and sat down in the massage chair.  This salon was small, with no more than four or five spa pedicure chairs.  Without overture or pleasantries, the pedicurist removed my old polish, cut down my nails, pushed back and trimmed my cuticles, slapped a few strokes of lotion on my legs, applied the new polish, and was done.  This process took all of about 20 minutes.  For anyone unfamiliar with pedicure protocol, she skipped an essential step: the foot and leg massage!  I had spent the past month canvassing practically every square mile of Sydney on foot, and was hoping for some relief.  I was in such shock that I didn't ask if the massage cost extra or if she had forgotten that step.  She replaced my flips flops on my feet, and I was beckoned to the cash register.  The place certainly lived up to its name.  The pedicurist was a professional.  I must admit that the polish did not chip at all, so the cost was worth it in that respect. 

When I arrived in Thailand I had planned to return to Sydney after three weeks, but ended up extending my trip by three additional weeks.  Thus, the pedicure issue arose once again.  In Patong Beach, I observed that one could receive a pedicure at many massage parlors, or even at the beach.  I'm quite picky about the sanitary conditions of my nail salon.  During my exploring, I found Nail Club, located in the Banana Walk shopping center, opposite the beach.  I had discovered the shopping center's clean, western toilets within the complex and usually stopped there on my way to the beach.  One of my favorite restaurants, Sizzler, is also located in the complex.  I approached Nail Club and was struck by its similarity to the salon I frequent at home.  It looked brand new, and I later read that the Banana Walk complex was built after the devastating 2004 tsunami.  The spa chairs are purple, each one readied for a customer with a fresh towel and lotus flower on the footrest.  I entered the salon and was greeted by several exuberant Thai women.  "Hello!  How much for a pedicure?" I enquired.  "800 baht," the receptionist replied as she handed me a menu of the salon services.  $24!  I told them I would return the next day.

The next day's torrential rains provided the perfect excuse for relaxing indoors at a nail salon.  I wore my black Keen sandals, which were soaked and squishy by the time I arrived at the salon.  I wasn't invited to approach the wall and physically pick my polish color.  Rather, I was ushered to my spa chair and handed a palette of acrylic nail samples which displayed the available colors.  I chose a deep, slightly shimmery red in anticipation of December.  I removed my sandals, noticed my dirty feet, and immediately stuck them in the water.  The pedicurist rolled up on her stool and prepared to remove my old polish.  She pulled one foot out of the water and gasped appallingly.  Another pedicurist noticed as well and had the same reaction.  Because of the rain, the dye from my black sandals had bled all over the soles of my feet!  I tried to explain to them what had happened, "From my shoes!" and motioned to my sandals.  The dedicated pedicurist went to work, scrubbing furiously to try to remove the dye.  "It's okay," I reassured her, "Just do the best you can."  The Thais give one hundred percent in whatever they do, so I knew she wouldn't rest until my feet were completely clean.  As the pedicure progressed and my feet soaked longer, the dye eventually disappeared.  How embarrassing!

Throughout the pedicure, I was serenaded by recorded, instrumental versions of Feelings and Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head.  I enjoy watching the pedicure protocol and I was trying to take mental notes of the process in anticipation of a blog entry.  "Madam!  Relax!" encouraged one of the several pedicurists who were gathered around one of the nail stations.  They were chatting as they decorated some acrylic nail samples.  As the pedicurist proceeded with the typical cut down and trimming of the cuticles, I wondered if I would suffer from ingrown toenails since she rounded my big toes instead of filing them straight across.  My worry was squelched by the foot and leg massage that followed.  Since massage is a Thai specialty, I had high expectations for this portion of the pedicure.  Without glancing at my watch too frequently, I estimated that the massage alone lasted almost 30 minutes, the entire pedicure just over an hour.  She carefully applied my polish and put the guilty, soggy sandals back on my feet.  The Thais take immense pride in their work and are attentive to every detail, as evidenced by this pedicure.  I tipped the pedicurist nicely as I walked out the door, hoping she was able to keep the money for herself.

As my December pedicure approached, I kept an eye out for a satisfactory salon while I was in Melbourne.  Since I was back to Australian pedicures, I wanted to do my research and get my money's worth this time.  I was staying in the neighborhood of Coburg and frequently took the tram down Nicholson to Lygon St. for food and coffee.  Conveniently located on a corner, I noticed Tips and Toes as I was walking by one day.  I entered the small, tidy salon, ready to enquire about their services.  "How much are your pedicures?"  "Do you receive a foot and leg massage with the pedicure?"  "Does the massage cost extra?"  I didn't want to be duped again.  The friendly receptionist of Asian descent answered my questions.  "$35" "Yes, massage is part of the pedicure."  "You can pay extra for an extra 15 minutes of massage."  She continued on in an attempt to persuade me that, coupled with a manicure, I would get an even better deal.  I was so enthralled with the prospect of an included foot and leg massage that I wasn't really listening. 

I returned to Tips and Toes the following day, as I was in my sneakers on the day of my enquiry.  I never like to accept the disposable flip flops if I can help it, and I didn't have a strict schedule to adhere to, so I could plan my day around my pedicure.  I was invited to sit in a spa chair near the rear of the salon.  It was Christmas Eve and it appeared that these Melburnians were getting spruced up for the holiday.  From my research, many Australians gather and celebrate the holiday on Christmas Day rather than Christmas Eve.  I chose a bright pink color in honor of the Australian summer.  Plus, the vibrancy complemented my tanned feet.  Mounted televisions featured the Australian news, which always seems to be more cheery than the Southern California news.  I soaked my feet in the spa water as the pedicurist prepared her instruments.  "Pedicure for the holidays?" she asked.  "I'm travelling, so I'm not really celebrating this year," I explained.  "Party tomorrow?" she persisted.  "I'm flying to Sydney tomorrow, so hopefully they'll do something fun on the plane," I answered.  She seemed puzzled as she removed my Thai polish, cut down my nails, and trimmed my cuticles.  "You're on holiday here?" she asked.  I explained to her how I had been travelling since September and I wanted to celebrate the New Year in Sydney, so it was necessary for me to fly on Christmas Day because of the cheap fare.  "Long holiday!" she exclaimed.  I never know whether people are impressed, envious, or shocked that I've been travelling for so long and solo, at that. 

The adept pedicurist continued with the included foot and leg massage, even wrapping my feet in hot towels at one point.  Such a welcome treat for my overworked feet!  My comfortable Vasque sneakers are to thank in preventing my feet from incurring a worse fate.  I thought this pedicure was most similar to my pedicures at home.  She brushed alcohol over my toenails to ensure they were free of lotion.  A base coat, two coats of polish, and a top coat were applied as she finished up the 45 minute process.  Carefully, she put my flip flops on and instructed me to sit for a few minutes.  I contemplated whether I should take the tram home or walk with my wet nails.  I asked if enough time had passed and she gave me permission to leave.  As I was pulling my $35 out of my wallet, she picked up an aerosol can, came around to my side of the counter, and sprayed my toenails with what I can only guess is some type of finishing spray.  Genius!  At press time, almost one month after this pedicure, my toenails are still shiny and the polish is intact.

In my previous travels, I never had the opportunity to investigate the pedicure habits of foreign cultures.  I couldn't afford it when I studied in Salzburg and Paris during college, and my subsequent two week long holidays didn't necessitate it.  I was glad to gather yet another comparative, cultural experience and to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment