Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Text to Self Connection

When I was in junior high, about 25 years ago, someone recommended Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig as an excellent read.  I brought my new paperback copy along as I accompanied my grandma to her senior water aerobics class at the YMCA.  As I waited for her, I began reading a few pages, but it was so abstract and the author discussed motorcycle parts more than I cared to read about.  I set the book down and watched my grandma's class, which was clearly more entertaining.  This cat and mouse reading game continued until my recent solo journey, when I finally "got it."  Well, I'm still not sure if I completely get it, but I related to the author in some ways.  Many of the themes are heavy, but the beauty of reading is that you can interpret the story however you wish.  That's what I did.  Click here for the review.

http://solotravelerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/anne2.jpg
My tattered, 25 year old copy, which accompanied me to Melbourne, Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment